Pride Month is an annual celebration for the LGBTQ community and its allies, most notably with large parades in cities worldwide. Since its origins, Pride has now been celebrated at many levels in society, like people’s workplaces and even online.
You can celebrate Pride Month virtually by participating on social media, sharing information about historical LGBTQ figures, and learning more about them yourself. You could also participate in your workplace’s virtual Pride celebrations and use virtual reality to attend parades in other parts of the world.
Read through this detailed guide to learn all about celebrating Pride Month virtually. First, you’ll get a quick recap of what it means to celebrate Pride. Then, you’ll learn the 5 ways to celebrate it virtually before discovering the unique benefits of doing so.
Let’s get to it!
Remember What Pride Month Is All About
Whether you choose to celebrate it virtually or in person, it’s important to understand what Pride Month is all about. That way, you’ll know what you’re celebrating and why it matters no matter where you are in the world.
Pride Month is a global celebration that typically happens in June, and it is a way to commemorate the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transexual and queer (LGBTQ) community worldwide.
This celebration started as a tribute to the Stonewall Riots in 1969, which was a series of protests for gay liberation. At the time, the riots were about championing the rights of the gay community as well as standing up against anti-gay discrimination and violence.
Since then, Pride Month has spread worldwide to become an event that uplifts LGBTQ voices while making community members feel seen, welcomed, and loved.
Thanks to modern technology, Pride Month celebrations now happen in person and online simultaneously. As a result, members of the LGBTQ community and their allies can connect with one another on a much broader scale, turning Pride into a truly global celebration!
5 Ways To Celebrate Pride Month Virtually
Now that we’re on the same page about Pride Month and what it means, it’s time to talk about how to celebrate it properly.
More specifically, here are 5 excellent ways to celebrate Pride Month virtually:
1. Update Your Social Media
Celebrating Pride virtually doesn’t have to be difficult at all, nor does it have to cost you any money.
In fact, most people start for free with the places online where they spend the most time: their social media accounts.
That’s why the first way to celebrate Pride Month is by updating your social media profiles to reflect what you’re doing. Most leading platforms will have special filters and other features to help you fly your Pride flag loud and proud!
You can take your virtual celebration a step further by sharing Pride-related content with your friends and followers.
That could be as simple as sharing a YouTube video or a text post to explain what Pride means to you.
2. Highlight LGBTQ Historical Figures
Another excellent way to celebrate Pride Month virtually is by highlighting LGBTQ historical figures and their important contributions to the world.
Unfortunately, even members of the community aren’t familiar with a lot of these figures. As such, Pride Month is the perfect time to share their stories and encourage others to appreciate their contributions.
Some important figures you could start with include:
- James Baldwin, famous writer
- Bayard Rustin, activist who marched with Martin Luther King Jr.
- Masha P. Johnson, who was on the frontlines of the Stonewall Riots
- Billie Jean King, first openly gay athlete
- Gilbert Baker, creator of the gay pride flag
Highlighting these and other important figures in the community when celebrating Pride virtually helps to create awareness about their struggles.
Better yet, it also shows just how far the community has come while pointing out how much more there is to accomplish.
3. Strengthen Your Pride Knowledge
Of course, celebrating Pride isn’t just about putting out content and sharing information with other users. As you do that, you should also look inward and strengthen your own knowledge by learning from other people.
Aside from learning about important historical figures like the ones listed earlier, you can also dive deeper into the history of the Stonewall Riots, which was the original inspiration for Pride Month.
One helpful way to do that is by browsing popular forums on Reddit and other websites to learn more about Pride and what it means to others.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and respond to other people’s posts. Doing so could also help you make friends in the LGBTQ community from other parts of the world!
4. Participate In Workplace Pride Celebrations
Over the past decade, Pride celebrations have spread worldwide and become much more mainstream. You’ll find Pride parades taking place in major cities as acceptance for the LGBTQ community continues to increase in many places.
On top of that, organizations have also begun planning Pride celebrations in their workplaces, including virtual events of all kinds.
If your employer is one of those who are planning virtual Pride celebrations, that’s another way that you can participate in the festivities!
Pride events in the workplace are excellent opportunities for you to connect with your colleagues remotely while understanding the issues that your LGBTQ co-workers struggle with.
Better yet, your participation in those celebrations could help create a more welcoming work environment, especially for those who aren’t in the office, like remote workers and freelancers.
5. Virtual Pride Parades
Last but certainly not least, you can celebrate Pride Month online by joining virtual Pride parades.
Believe it or not, many of the world’s biggest Pride parades now have 360° cameras recording them live. That means you can log into the parade and look around, thanks to virtual reality, feeling as if you’re marching alongside everyone else!
Google is a perfect example of this, as they leverage their technology to ensure that everyone can enjoy Pride parades virtually from wherever they might be.
Besides large organizations like Google, regular, everyday people also do the same by streaming point-of-view (POV) footage so others can be a part of the same parades they attend.
Remember: this also means you’re not limited to the Pride parades taking place in the US. Instead, you can give yourself a cross-cultural experience by seeing what Pride parades look like in other countries.
A regular computer display is good enough to enjoy these virtual Pride parades, but you can also take it several steps further.
For instance, VR headsets have become much more affordable in recent years, and using them could give you an even more immersive virtual Pride parade experience.
How Celebrating Pride Month Virtually Can Benefit You
As you can see, there are several ways you can celebrate Pride month virtually from the comfort of your home, using whatever device you have.
Still, it’s important to understand how these virtual celebrations can benefit you, no matter your background.
Here are some of the most notable benefits of celebrating Pride Month virtually:
- Overcome limitations: The first and most important benefit is that virtual celebrations empower you to overcome limitations. Despite whatever might prevent you from celebrating in person, you can still rely on social media websites, virtual reality, and other technologies to ensure you don’t miss out on these crucial celebrations.
- Self-education and understanding: Virtual celebrations also enable you to learn from members of the LGBTQ community that you might not get to meet in person. As a result, you’ll enhance your self-education and understanding of Pride Month, its history, and the values it promotes.
- Broaden horizons: As you read earlier, technology allows you to be in faraway places virtually to experience Pride parades and other celebrations in other countries. That can help you broaden your horizons to experience what happens in other countries that you haven’t visited just yet.
- Lend your support: Celebrating Pride Month virtually also allows you to support other people who are far away. Instead of being there in person to help with your time and physical effort, you can still contribute online by liking and sharing their posts, for example. Online engagement might not seem like much at first, but in reality, it goes a long way towards supporting the cause.
- Self-confidence: Lastly, celebrating virtually can also help to strengthen your self-confidence. That’s because you’ll learn more about a cause you’re passionate about and because you know you’re supporting in whatever way you can. Along the way, you’ll learn more about yourself, increasing your self-esteem even more.
Overall, it’s easy to see that celebrating Pride virtually is more than just about not missing out. It’s also an excellent opportunity to learn more about the history behind the event, the crucial people related to it, and how you relate to everything going on.
Thankfully, today’s technology can ensure you won’t miss out on these celebrations, no matter your limitations.
Pride Month celebrations have come a long way since its origins after the Stonewall Riots. Since then, Pride has become a global celebration of LGBTQ communities and allies worldwide. Thanks to modern technology, you don’t have to miss out on any of those celebrations, even if you’re stuck at home.
Instead, you can participate virtually through social media, sharing information about historical LGBTQ figures, learning more about Pride yourself, and participating in virtual parades. You can expand your horizons through your device and see just how far Pride has come.