Drag shows are an excellent form of live entertainment to enjoy. However, people who are unfamiliar with them might find it challenging to find people to go with them to their first show. So, can you go to a drag show by yourself if you’re one of those people?
Yes, you can totally go to a drag show by yourself! Doing so is an excellent way to enjoy new experiences without worrying about judgment. Plus, it’s a great way to meet new people and build self-confidence. Many people go to drag shows by themselves, and you can too!
This quick article will tell you everything you need to know about going to a drag show by yourself. You’ll learn why people do it, how you can benefit from it, and what you can expect at the show.
Let’s get to it!
Can You Go To A Drag Show By Yourself?
Yes, you can absolutely go to a drag show by yourself. In many cases, going solo might be the only way for you to enjoy the most of your experience while broadening your horizons.
There’s no need to feel weird or uncomfortable about going to drag shows alone. Remember that you’re entering a safe space for people of all backgrounds.
As a result, the performers and other audience members are very welcoming of people, especially if they’re new to experiencing drag culture.
There are plenty of reasons why people would go to a drag show without anyone else, such as the following:
- Freedom from judgment: First and foremost, some people go to drag shows alone to avoid judgment from their peers or family members who aren’t so understanding. If that sounds like you, going alone will let you enjoy the show without worrying about what someone else might think of you!
- Curiosity: Some people go solo to drag shows purely out of curiosity. Perhaps they’ve heard a lot about such shows or seen them on TV, and now they want to gain new experiences by themselves.
- Self-discovery: Drag shows are more than just about the performers and their talents. While the show goes on, people in the audience are also on a journey to learn more about themselves and their interests. You’ll discover a lot about yourself when you mingle with like-minded individuals at these shows.
- No one to go with: Some people might not feel comfortable admitting it, but they just don’t have anyone to go with to a drag show. Perhaps their friends are busy or not interested in these things. So instead of missing out on an exciting experience, they decide to go by themselves.
- To build confidence: Lastly, some people see it as a challenge to go to a show by themselves. It’s an excellent way of forcing themselves out of their shell, to gain new experiences and meet new people.
As you can see, there is no shortage of reasons why people choose to go to drag shows alone. You might find one or more of the motivations above relatable, or you might have a unique reason of your own.
Whatever the case might be, the bottom line is clear: yes, you can go to a drag show alone, and yes, it’s an excellent way to gain new experiences and broaden your horizons!
What Happens During A Drag Show?
Suppose you’re planning on going to a drag show yourself for the first time. In that case, you’ll certainly want to know what to expect.
Generally, you must understand that a drag show is a type of entertainment led by drag artists (i.e. drag queens and drag kings) who impersonate women and men.
These shows are exciting and over-the-top by design and feature many different acts like:
- Live singing and lip-syncing: Some drag artists love to perform renditions of iconic drag songs or at least lip-sync to those songs while performing in glamorous outfits.
- Dancing: You can also expect a lot of dancing performances during drag shows, often while the live singing or lip-syncing is taking place.
- Comedy: Drag shows are also opportunities for artists to show off their other talents. That’s why you might also get to watch a standup comedy act as part of the show you attend.
- Other talents: Drag artists are people of many talents, and some even go beyond singing, dancing, and comedy. So, don’t be surprised if you attend a drag show that also includes a live magic act!
As you can see, a drag show can take many different forms. But one thing’s for sure: it’s going to be an exciting time that you’ll remember for a long time to come!
What Are The Benefits Of Going To A Drag Show Alone?
Believe it or not, there are plenty of advantages to going for a drag show solo.
Here are a few of them that you should keep in mind, especially if you’re on the fence about whether or not to go for the show:
1. More Freedom To Enjoy Yourself
For starters, going for a drag show solo gives you much more freedom to enjoy yourself.
Sure, it’s nice to go to these kinds of things with close friends or even some of your family members.
However, going with other people sometimes means having to follow their schedules and cater to their preferences.
When you choose to attend a show without anyone else, you get to focus on just one important person: yourself!
2. No Fear Of Judgement
It’s normal for people to have friends who might not approve of things like drag shows. That can be quite challenging if you’re open-minded enough to want to experience these shows and explore them first-hand.
Going alone means you don’t have to deal with any of that! You can just open yourself up to new experiences without having to worry about what other people think.
3. Make New Friends Easily
One of the coolest things about attending a drag show is that you know the other audience members are like-minded individuals. That, plus the open and welcoming environment, means that people are much more open to getting acquainted with strangers.
That means you can make new friends easily at these shows.
Who knows; they might be the friends you take to your next drag show!
4. You’ll Learn More About Yourself
Doing anything solo is a way to get to know yourself better. That’s true whether you’re dining at a restaurant alone or going to a movie by yourself.
Attending a drag show by yourself is another perfect example of that.
For example, you might learn that you’re much more open-minded than anyone else you know after going to your first drag show!
5. Your Confidence Will Increase
Last but certainly not least, you’ll boost your confidence by going to a drag show alone. This benefit happens for several different reasons.
For one thing, you’ll learn to overcome the fear of going out by yourself to a show. On top of that, learning about yourself is an excellent way to raise your self-belief.
Tips For Attending A Drag Show By Yourself
As you plan on going for your first drag show alone, here are a few handy tips to keep in mind:
Keep An Open Mind
Firstly, always keep an open mind. Try not to make any judgments until you’ve experienced things first-hand, then decide for yourself what the experience means for you.
Go Early To Get A Good Spot
Like any other kind of show, it’s always an excellent idea to go early. That way, you get a chance to choose a good spot where you can see all the performances clearly.
And if that’s not possible, don’t worry. Drag show performances typically aren’t focused only on the stage. Instead, the performers will likely move around and mix with the audience at times.
Grab A Drink
You might find yourself not knowing what to do with your hands when you attend a drag show and mingle with other audience members. That’s normal!
Instead of playing with your phone, grab a drink and walk around. People are more likely to introduce themselves when you make eye contact instead of looking down at something like a phone.
Remember: you’re probably not the only person attending that drag show alone. So, don’t be afraid to make the first move and introduce yourself to other people.
After the show is over, you might also get an opportunity to introduce yourself to some of the performers and show your appreciation to them.
A simple compliment to a performer will go a long way towards making their day!
Lastly, enjoy yourself! Put your phone away and just take in all the sights and sounds.
Living in the moment will give you plenty of memories to keep and stories to share with your friends later.
All-in-all, remember that people do go to drag shows by themselves, and you can too! People do that for many reasons, like not wanting to be judged by their peers, or because they just want to build confidence by doing things alone.
Whatever your reason, remember that there are plenty of benefits of going to a drag show solo. You’ll get to gain new experiences and meet new people with the same interests as you!