Is there any greater feeling in the world than being able to be yourself, unapologetically and without reserve?
For most queer people, coming out is a defining moment. Although some of us wish it didn’t have to be, coming out is liberating, empowering, and emotional. Unfortunately, not all of us have it so easy.
Coming out as a lesbian can be one of the toughest challenges you’ll ever face, especially if the world around you isn’t accepting.
We all deserve to love and be loved and to feel free and confident. If you’ve ever had to come out in a world that doesn’t accept you and lose people you love so that you can be yourself, we’re so sorry.
Whatever your coming out experience may be, we’ve put together this list of 30+ great quotes about coming out as a lesbian to inspire you and promote nothing but self-love, happiness, and confidence because you deserve to be you – always.
1. “Don’t come out unless you want to. Don’t come out for anyone else’s sake. Don’t come out because you think society expects you to. Come out for yourself. Come out to yourself. Shout, sing it. Softly stutter. Correct those who say they knew before you did. That’s not how sexuality works, it’s yours to define.”― Dean Atta
2. “By coming out to ourselves, we free up the energy we spent keeping a part of ourselves hidden.” – Patrick Califia
3. “Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life; define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein
4. “We deserve to experience love fully, equally, without shame, and without compromise.” – Elliot Page
5. “It is not a matter of choosing girls over boys; it’s choosing happiness over society.” – Unknown
6. “Girls love each other like animals. There is something ferocious and unself-conscious about it. We don’t guard ourselves like we do with boys. No one trains us to shield our hearts from each other. With girls, it’s total vulnerability from the beginning. Our skin is bare and soft. We love with claws and teeth, and the blood is just proof of how much. It’s feral.” – Leah Raeder
7. “Being a lesbian means I have the opportunity to love what is uncommon, and I’m okay with that. I do not cry myself to sleep or am upset by the life that I lead because of who I care about. Because I accept the fact that it is simply love.” – Jenna Anne.
8. “Openness may not completely disarm prejudice, but it’s a good place to start.” – Jason Collins
9. “Everyone is their own kind of lesbian. To think there’s a certain way to dress or present yourself in the world is just one more stereotype we have to fit into.” – Portia de Rossi
10. “You had to be willing to fight in order for a love story to last a lifetime.” – Cristina Marrero
11. “The power of love is that it sees all people.” – DeShanne Stokes
12. “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
13. “I think being gay is a blessing, and it’s something I am thankful for every single day.” – Anderson Cooper
14. “People will stare. Make it worth their while.” — Harry Winston
15. “One day we won’t come out. We will just say we are in love and that will be all that matters. – Unknown
16. “I could say the same thing I’ve said in every relationship: I’m happy. But there’s happiness, and there’s love, and then there’s completion.” – Ellen DeGeneres.
17. “Straighteners don’t work. I’ve been using one for two weeks, and I’m still a lesbian.” – Unknown
18. “I became a lesbian because of women. Because women are beautiful, strong, and compassionate.” – Rita Mae Brown
19. “Cut the ending. Revise the script. The man of her dreams is a girl.” – Julie Anne Peters
20. “The idea is not to live forever, but to create a love that will.” – Unknown
21. “Love is love.” – Unknown
22. “My prince charming is a princess.” – Unknown
23. “As love accumulates, it keeps your system in balance and harmony. Love is the tool, and more love is the end product.” – Sarah Paddison
24. “When we love, we always strive to become better than we are. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.” – Paulo Coelho
25. “The true feminist deals out of a lesbian consciousness whether or not she ever sleeps with women.” – Rosemary Ketchum
26. “If I wait for someone else to validate my existence, it will mean that I’m shortchanging myself.” – Zanele Muholi
27. “Being a lesbian means I have the opportunity to love what is uncommon, and I’m okay with that. I do not cry myself to sleep or am upset by the life that I lead because of who I care about. Because I accept the fact that it is simply love.” – Jenna Anne
28. “I am a strong, black, lesbian woman. Every time I say it, I feel so much better.” – Brittney Griner
29. “I believe that telling our stories, first to ourselves and then to one another and the world, is a revolutionary act.” – Janet Mock
30. “The beauty of standing up for your rights is others see you standing up and stand up as well.” – Cassandra Duffy
31. “We are both ‘the girl’ in the relationship. That’s kinda the point.” – Unknown
32. “Life is too short to ignore love.” – Unknown
33. “If God had wanted me otherwise, he would have created me otherwise.” – Erika Linder
34. “Love is a choice you make from moment to moment.” – Barbara De Angelis
35. “Lesbians are the poets of the humanity of women.” – Nicole Brossard
There is one right or wrong way to come out. If you’re figuring out your sexuality, you’ll soon realize that everyone’s journey is unique to them.
Some of us realize we’re lesbians when we’re young, while others don’t realize until later in life.
It doesn’t matter how we get there – it’s having the courage to embrace it and the pride to love freely and without reservation that matters the most.
So, wherever you are in your coming out journey, we hope that this list of inspirational quotes can inspire you to embrace yourself and love yourself completely.
We’re all in this together, you, and deserve to love and be loved – always.